Adventures in Sourdough: Days 3-6

Hi friends!

I’ve been posting my adventures in sourdough here if you’d like to check out the backstory:

Adventures in sourdough: Introduction
Adventures in sourdough: Day 1 and 2

It’s actually been incredibly easy so far, requiring just a few minutes every day to feed the starter. I’ll walk you through the next few days below.

Day 3

As per the instructions in the sourdough starter packet, the amount you feed the starter increases each day until you’re feeding it 1/2 cup flour daily.

For the first day, we added 1 tablespoon of water and flour. The next day, the amount increased to 2 tablespoons of water and flour.

On the third day, that amount doubled again, and I added 1/4 cup of flour and filtered water to the mixture. I gave it a good, hearty stir, and then left it to sit on my counter for another day.

Day 4

Day 4 saw another doubling. On day 4, I added 1/2 cup of flour and water to the jar and stirred everything up really well. Things were starting to look bubbly at this point (as you’ll see in the picture below), and the smell of the starter was mild, bready and just a teeny bit sour.

Day 5

Starting from day 5, the instructions tell you to throw away all but 1/2 cup of the starter. Since this starter is fairly liquidy, like a mix between crepe and pancake batter, I just measured out 1/2 cup and dumped the rest down the drain.

It’s at this point where you keep repeating the same process for 3-7 days – at which point your starter should be happy, bubbly, and ready to make some bread.

Day 6

I repeated the same process from day 5. I’ll keep repeating this process until I feel like the starter is good and ready. Since I have no practical experience to base that feeling on, it’ll basically be a wild stab in the dark.

Here’s what the starter looks like prior to giving it a stir:

The liquids and the solids separate, so it looks a little yucky (but it’s totally fine). This is what it looks like after giving it a good stir:

Isn’t it lovely? It’s got lots of teeny tiny bubbles, and smells healthy. In fact, it’s much milder smelling than I expected – I thought it would be wafting through my entire kitchen. But you can only really smell it once you get up close and personal. And even then, it’s a pleasant smell – yeasty and bready.


I’ll be continuing this process for a few more days, and hopefully I’ll be ready to start my first official loaf on Monday. As always, I’ll keep you updated on the process – either you can learn from my mistakes or successes, whatever they happen to be.

Until next time!